Monday, March 28, 2011

Getting older

Turning 40 last year was a milestone, and caused an inventory-taking look at body, mind, soul. Here's what I came up with so far: 1. Doing the job you were put on this planet to do is important. How do you know what it might be? Try reading the bible, spending time *alone* with God, and asking him to speak with you about said path. It's still not crystal clear, but I'm a little dense. Still, I'm beginning to see a light here and there. 2. My children are my heart. I love them more than I love anyone else on this Earth; I love every single thing about them, right down to the mole on their second toe, their crazy shenanigans or their gentle, caring spirit. Every day is spent taking care of them, not as a chore, but in such a way that they know that they know that the know how much I love them. Parenting with intent and purpose ~ it's a good thing! 3. My dear, sweet, funny husband got let off the hook this year. He rescued me when I was a single mom with two babies, looking at a subsidized apartment, along with other government assistance, all while working a full time job and being a full time student. Missing those early years of my childrens lives would have been devastating to me. I held him to the standards of a savior, a God even; he *did* save me, after all. This year, I decided to let him down from the pedestal, and join the human race. Happily married doesn't even begin to cover it. 4. Move more, eat less, or you will turn into the tiny, round Italian meatball all of your dad's family has either had to fight or become. This doesn't mean a casual stroll downtown to have lunch. It's pavement pounding, sweating-til-you-smell running, every day. Every . Single . Day. 5. Look at everyone through eyes that see their soul, seeing past any rough exterior or pretend personality. Love them all, even the bad ones, for they are the most desperate for it. That covers the basics, I've also learned that asparagus and broccoli are ok (it only took me 40 years to come to that conclusion), but I still have to fight my carboholic tendencies.

2 comments:

NatureMama said...

This is so you, my inspirational friend, whom I love dearly.

Lydia Donnelly said...

Beautiful post! You could never be a meatball, you're on the go all the time! I'll take my tennies to the office, stop and get me someday if you're walking around downtown, I'll try and keep up!