Tuesday, July 16, 2013

He got it.

Our VBS theme this week was 'Groovin' with Jesus: Peace, Love and Joy'. Right up my glitter-hippy alley, yes?  Yes.  I'm enjoying it.

Today, we learned the 'Love your neighbor as yourself' verse during bible story time.  I'm not much of a memorizer, but I do remember key teachings and this has always been one of my favorites. Yesterday, we'd made tie-dyed pillow cases during craft time.  As a group leader, I went ahead and made myself one. Resisting tye-dyed anything is futile, so I just grabbed a bottle of pink and dove into the fun with the kids.  Today, we received them to take home and wash, in preparation for a good night's sleep and happy hippy dreams.

A little girl showed up in my group today who'd not been there the previous day. As I passed out my the multi-colored cloth, still banded and in Zip-locks for their parents to deal with  later, her little face fell when she realized she wasn't getting one.  It took a lot of selflessness for me to turn mine over, but in my almost 43 years, I've managed to improve in that area.  She went home with mine.

Meeting up with Caden a few minutes later, he asked where my pillow case was, as he was planning for us to both sleep on them tonight.  After explaining, his response was 'WHY did you do THAT?!'  He was a little upset.  Maybe he was hoping I'd give it to him so he could have a matched set?  Maybe he just didn't understand the relinquishing of a tie-dyed item.  That never happens.

Reminding him of our bible story, I told him that if my little boy was at a vacation bible school, and was sad about not doing a craft the day before, I'd sure want some mommy to love him as they love themselves, and give him theirs. Even though I really liked the craft, I did unto that little girl's mommy as I'd want someone to do for me. So, she went home with my pillow case.

A few seconds later...he handed me his pillow case, saying he wanted me to have it.

Next Day Update:  After craft time today, the little girl gave me her paper-plate tambourine and a huge hug.  Apparently, she gets it, too. Being in the presence of a child is a gift (most of the time ;)  )

No comments: